The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
fuzzkill

Re: The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Post by fuzzkill »

Got the headliner back today, turned out nice.

I opted for the SS console and rear dome. They are nicer than the Caprice units. Individual lighting and switches per side.

Figured out rough wiring harness routing. It seems that everything should still reach, even though the Caprice roof is longer.

At this point I needed to iron out my roof antenna situation, and ran into another snag. The Caprice has a single band mast antenna, I assume for the radio. The SS has a dual band antenna, one is GPS, other is either XM or FM (maybe both?). Hard to find solid information on it. Even though I'm not likely going to use the factory nav, I want it to be functional. So I need to use the SS shark fin antenna. It fits, but the curvature of the roof section is slightly off, only contacting at the very front and back and leaving a small (but noticeable) gap in the middle. Since I wasn't really a fan of the shark fin anyway, that was all the incentive I needed. The Aussie WN came with nav, so they have a dual band mast style antenna that looks the same as the US Caprice antenna. I think the footprint is slightly larger to accommodate the larger internals. Working on getting one shipped over now.

I went ahead and installed the headliner, but just with the B-pillars and front console secured. That way I can drop the back end down to toss in the antenna when it comes. I wanted to get the headliner in while the car is empty. No seats and no dash makes a much easier install.

Made the cutouts in the rear deck for the speaker grills. Was pretty simple job. It's too bad I can't put any of the trim back into the car until I get the antenna installed.

While I was waiting for the windshield guy the other day, I went ahead and gutted the front Caprice doors and the front SS doors - and found more fun. Even though the doors and glass are interchangeable, the SS has different window regulator/motor assemblies. So, I'll have to use those since I need to use the SS door harness. The front door latches are different part numbers as well, but I can't figure out why. They are much easier to switch than the rear door latches were though, so I'll just add them to the pile. I can't reassemble until the Caprice can move off the lift. Not going to fight with everything when I can't open the door all the way.

I'll be starting on the HVAC, dash frame, harness, and dash next.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Didn't get a lot of time in, but I did get some time in.

Reinstalled the HVAC box, blower box, dash frame, and dash harness. Made the connections to the BCM, body harness, and what things I can go ahead and plug in at this point. Need to be very careful and thorough to make sure I don't miss any parts at this stage, or I'll be setting myself up for a very bad time later on.

I had an issue with the pedal box, replacement is coming tomorrow if I'm lucky. Without it, I can't really move any further forward on the dash. Likewise in the rear, I can't install any rear trim or seats until I get the correct roof antenna (that might be a bit). This sucks. Might be starting on the engine sooner than expected.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Good stuff!

Pedal box didn't come in until late, so to keep myself busy I tackled the rear bumper.

Since my PPV is a 2014, I don't have a backup camera - but I'm also using the SS radio and all harnesses. So even if I did there would be nowhere to plug it in. The SS backup camera mounts in between the plate lights instead of on the trunk lid like the PPV. There is ample room in the PPV bumper to mount the SS camera, so that is what I did. This way, the harness is where it needs to be since I am going to use the SS rear bumper harness.

The SS uses individual pigtails for the plate lights, the PPV has 1 pigtail that splits to both lights. The lights are different sizes, so I can't use the SS lights. So I cut one SS pigtail and replaced it with the PPV connector so they still plug in the same way as factory.

Next up on the rear bumper are the blind spot sensors. Oddly enough, the 14+ PPV's have the bracket on the inside of the bumper but only for the driver side. I measured out the placement, and copied the location onto the passenger side. Then I had to improvise a little bit with securing the harness on the inside of the bumper but I got it all tucked up out of the way.

My pedal box finally showed up late afternoon, and it was broken. This was the 3rd one I've gotten. First one was wrong, second was broke, and third was broke. However, it was broken in a different spot from the last one, so I was able to make one good unit from the two. Glad to have that ordeal over with. Installation was simple. Threw the column, shaft, and lower brace back in.

Almost ready for the dash to go back in. I'm excited, looking more like a car again every day. Once the interior is back together I plan on powering everything up sans engine (it's missing still) and testing things out to verify functions before I move onto the motor. Motor should be the easiest part :lol:
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Had some other obligations today but managed to get a bit done.

Got the rear bumper reinstalled with all the new goodies attached. Clears all the inner bumper supports and whatnot without issue.

I tidied up a few loose ends, and then the dash shell was ready to go back in. Once that was in, the HUD bezel, cluster, and all the radio/HVAC and associated trim go back. It almost looks complete again!

Still up in the air about the steering wheel - but I don't want to install the clockspring and wheel yet anyway until the column is connected to the rack permanently. I don't want to overwind it accidentally.

Need to run a few wires to the console area for some switches/hardware I'm going to install and then the center console and seats will be ready to go in. At that point I'll power everything up and test out functionality so far.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Since my car was (still) outfitted with lights and a siren, and I am going for the cop car aesthetic, I wanted to hook it all back up for fun at the car show/etc. This required adding a fair amount of extra wires to the center console area. The siren amplifier is mounted in the trunk, right on top of the Bose amp. There is a small control panel for it that I will add a couple toggle switches onto for the lights. Got all the additional wiring ran into the console, and tested what I could. Still waiting on some switches to finish it up.

With all the wiring done, I installed the console, mainly to test fit and verify operation. I will likely need to remove it when installing the shifter.

Most everything powers up as expected, and an added bonus my radio has already been flashed with the red Holden theme. I think that is just looks though I don't think there is any added functionality in it. I could be wrong though.

Also got to see the HUD for the first time - gonna be nice to finally be back in a car with one.

With the dash all sorted sans knee airbags, I tossed the seats in. Running out of parts to toss in now :lol:

Cozy.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

No pictures tonight :P

Got the siren/light switch panel finalized and mounted in the center console. Takes up about half the storage bin but still some usable space in it.

Put the car on some dollies so that I can move it around (and get to the front doors). Started on swapping over the latches, regulators, etc as well as applying the sound deadening to the front doors.

And I started on the tail light pigtails that I will need to swap. The SS has an amber turn signal, and the Caprice doesn't. At least not here. I have a set of AUS LED tail lights, which come with amber turn signals. This works out great because the wiring is already broken out separately for the brake/turn on the SS harness. If you were installing these lights on a regular Caprice you would have to find some other solution (BCM program + extra wiring?). One thing I did find odd, was that the AUS lights use an almost identical 6 pin connector for the tail lights. And I mean it is almost identical. But it won't plug in to the factory US Caprice pigtail. Luckily, the pins are compatible, so I just disassembled the connectors and swapped them. All the pins are even in the same location for each function, with the AUS unit having one extra wire (turn). One other modification will be the reverse light signal, on the SS the reverse lights are on the trunk lid, so they are broken out on a separate harness. I will need to strip that down for just reverse and tie it into my tail light pigtails on each side.

Also swapped in the strobes from the old tail lights because I am weird like that.

Probably work more on the lighting and/or doors tomorrow, then I'm out of town for a bit. When I come back I should be ready to start on the motor while I am waiting on other parts.
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Finished up the front doors today, got the regulators switched over and the passive entry handles in. Waiting on the cover set to come from AUS, I don't want the SS chrome ones. Also got the SS side view mirrors installed. They are heated as well as having the blind spot indicator in them. I thought I got lucky as my driver side SS mirror already had the bare black plastic cap on it, but the passenger side had a metallic black color painted cap. So I swapped over one of my PPV caps onto it so they both match.

Also finished the tail light harness adaptations, but was unable to test as I am without a BCM for now. Decided to get the BCM flashed for a manual calibration in lieu of flashing everything for a 2015 manual SS. And although I can't do it myself going this route, it seems like the better option. There could definitely be compatibility issues for certain modules, even if the replacement part number for both years is identical now, doesn't mean that the part on the car is compatible with both years. Revisions are made all the time. That, and I have seen a lot of issues with trying to change the VIN on some modules on the Global A architecture vehicles - so I'm probably taking the right way on this. I will share more details once everything pans out.

Also ordered a bunch of parts for when I return.
4x new front control arms
2x new links
New AC manifold hose
New radiator (V6 unit will not work, but fans/controller are the same)
New radiator hoses

And last but not least, a 1LE edit: ZL1 suede/red stitching steering wheel to match all the red stitching in the SS interior.
Last edited by fuzzkill on Wed May 26, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

fuzzkill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:22 pm Finished up the front doors today, got the regulators switched over and the passive entry handles in. Waiting on the cover set to come from AUS, I don't want the SS chrome ones. Also got the SS side view mirrors installed. They are heated as well as having the blind spot indicator in them. I thought I got lucky as my driver side SS mirror already had the bare black plastic cap on it, but the passenger side had a metallic black color painted cap. So I swapped over one of my PPV caps onto it so they both match.

Also finished the tail light harness adaptations, but was unable to test as I am without a BCM for now. Decided to get the BCM flashed for a manual calibration in lieu of flashing everything for a 2015 manual SS. And although I can't do it myself going this route, it seems like the better option. There could definitely be compatibility issues for certain modules, even if the replacement part number for both years is identical now, doesn't mean that the part on the car is compatible with both years. Revisions are made all the time. That, and I have seen a lot of issues with trying to change the VIN on some modules on the Global A architecture vehicles - so I'm probably taking the right way on this. I will share more details once everything pans out.

Also ordered a bunch of parts for when I return.
4x new front control arms
2x new links
New AC manifold hose
New radiator (V6 unit will not work, but fans/controller are the same)
New radiator hoses

And last but not least, a 1LE suede/red stitching steering wheel to match all the red stitching in the SS interior.
1LE is white stitched , ZL1 is red , i know ive got both wheels
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

s/c'd cav wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:30 pm 1LE is white stitched , ZL1 is red , i know ive got both wheels
Ah, looks like you're right. I actually ordered the white stitched one before I realized there was a red stitch one available. I'll either sell it or return it. I see used ones selling for same or more than brand new costs ... they must not know :lol:
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

fuzzkill wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:34 pm
s/c'd cav wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:30 pm 1LE is white stitched , ZL1 is red , i know ive got both wheels
Ah, looks like you're right. I actually ordered the white stitched one before I realized there was a red stitch one available. I'll either sell it or return it. I see used ones selling for same or more than brand new costs ... they must not know :lol:
white is better for the non=SS swapped caprices any way ;)

though the 1LE wheel has the mini-SS emblem in it , where the ZL1 has the mini-ZL1 , so swap out that bezel before selling the white stitched , so youll have flowing SS emblems all around