2014 9C1 Daily Driver

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
BluesBro

2014 9C1 Daily Driver

Post by BluesBro »

I'm really bad about stopping in the middle of working to take pictures so we shall see how much I update this thread.

Been working on the car this week to get it into shape to actually drive.

Things it needed before I could trust it:
-Front wheel bearings
-Rotors and Pads all around
-Exhaust extended (the axle back came in the trunk and is very rusty)
-Tune
-Coolant leak

Car is only at 86k miles but it is well used and from Illinois so rust is an issue. Powerstop z23 kit and Timken wheel bearings should be here today so lots of work to do this weekend. The coolant leak seemed to be a simple bad clamp. Hopefully I'll have time to install the wideband so I can verify its driveablity.

Here are some pictures of it in the meantime.
Caprice1  (Resize).jpg
Caprice1 (Resize).jpg (96.18 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
Caprice2 (Resize).jpg
Caprice2 (Resize).jpg (188.07 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
BluesBro

Re: 2014 9C1 Daily Driver

Post by BluesBro »

Got lots done today, but of course, forgot to take pictures.

Got the Innovate lc2 installed, fears of running lean alleviated.

Front brakes from powerstop are on back order and won’t be in until September so the wheel bearings and rear brakes will wait.

Made up a quick axle back out of some spare 2.5in stainless I had. Sounds ok but not good, especially compared to our other cars with 3in setups and long tubes. Actually sounds really bad at certain rpms and loads, kind of like a vq35…a solo setup has moved up in priority.

Thanks again to bstoner for sending me that stock hpt file for a 2014.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Another productive weekend, failed at the pictures once again, took a video after the exhaust install but its very poor. Exhaust overwhelmed the camera mic.

So I got a little MAF tuning in, and a little tweaking to hot start fueling as it starts very soft when hot.

Made some changes to TC slip numbers on the advice of a 6L80 builder to prolong the life of the trans, I did not like the way it felt driving. RPM flares between shifts and generally mushy feeling. I put the trans tune back to stock and I will revisit that aspect of the tune later. The builders theory behind removing TC slip from the tune is that the slip causes the lining to slough off the TC and gum up the valve body.

After getting the stock exhaust off I realized it was much more restrictive than I thought. I knew from reading here on the forums that the 4 flex joints narrow down to about 1 7/8", but I also found that the sections between pup cats and resonators neck down to between 1 3/4" and 1 7/8". A Solo 3in Mach setup is on now and boy is it a big difference.
My dads Caprice has the Solo 3in Race setup with JBA headers and it is earth shakingly loud, the Mach with stock manifolds is surprisingly subtle at cruising speeds and lower rpms, but is very mean sounding when you are in the throttle. I made some 2.5in "test pipes" for now from the manifolds to the catback, I haven't made up my mind yet about doing long tubes, shorties, or maybe just some solo high flow cats and leave it at that.

For anyone considering an exhaust I can't recommend Solo Performance enough, very well made, very easy to install, sound is amazing.

This is the only video that came out even half worth a damn, it is still pretty bad, sorry about that.
https://youtu.be/FsuFDBPtNrQ

This week I am going to be swapping the thermostat out, it runs around 198-212* while driving, going to put in a 180* thermostat and see if I can get that down a little. The coolant leak I thought was just a bad clamp has returned, it looks like the plastic "T" under the MAF is cracked, I have a new one to put in. Later in the week it is getting tint, and a little sound system upgrade. Hoping to fit a set of audiofrog 6.5in coaxials in the front doors and a phoenix gold 12, with alpine class d amp. The fronts are going to be powered off the head unit for now, might get an amp later. If anyone has a any insight on where to tap the speaker lines for the amp on a 2014 car I'm listening. I read through the how-to in the stereo section, but as that is on a 2013 I'm not sure it will be the same.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Adding an amp:

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... amp#p25702

Lots of good info here.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Pursuit wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:07 pm Adding an amp:

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... amp#p25702

Lots of good info here.

Maurice
I had read through that one, unfortunately the conclusion in that thread is that the upfitter connector used in the example does not exist on the 14+ models.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Yes, you are correct. My apologies. I looked in the 2014 Technical manual and there is no mention of that blue connector.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Got a bit done last night. Got the leaking coolant hose and fitting replaced, got the new thermostat in. Unfortunately it still gets hot when coasting at low RPM, cruising temps are a bit lower but I'm starting to suspect the water pump. The water pump being bad wouldn't be too surprising as my car as 13500 idle hours!

On a brighter note, I finally got a real key/fob made. I only received a "valet key" with the car that had no fob. Ordered a new uncut key/fob from keylessremote.com got it cut by a locksmith in town, they did the existing key in the ignition, then new key in programming method and it programmed the fob as well. Remote start works so I wont have to go the route of installing a stand alone system.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Try the Royal Purple ice super coolant. My coolant temp never went over 186F in the summer with 1.5 bottles added. Always worked for me, but in WI resulted in longer warm-ups in winter.

But check the water pump too.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

My 2014 Caprice PPV 9C1 has a variety of engine coolant temps depending on the outside air temp, load on the engine and if the radiator cooling fans are working.

The engine coolant temps for my car run in the 186 F to 200 F range while driving around on level streets with the outside temp being in the 90 F to 105 F range. I have several hills around where I live and drive the car so after climbing those steep hills the temp will rise to the 205 F to 216 F range, but the coolant temp will quickly drop back down to the 190 F to 200 F range when on level ground. Where I drive the car doesn't let it sit idling much, but it will maintain 195 F to 205 F range while idling depending on outside air temp.

My Caprice had one failed radiator cooling fan and another that was close to failing when I first purchased it. I replaced both fans (there's a TSB on the issue). I also replaced the fan controller wiring harness pigtail / connector because it had melted plastic and an enlarged connector where it plugs into the radiator cooling fan controller. Here's a couple of videos on the radiator fan replacement and replacing the wiring connector for the radiator fan controller.

I have replaced all of the cooling system hoses, thermostat and the water pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTVwAq7mPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na8DButs0Yk
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

That is good info on the fans. It mostly stays around 205-216 but occasionally it goes 216-225 and that is well outside the range I am confortable with. It also drops very slowly once it gets up high. Another kind of odd thing is that after i shut the car off and return after a few minutes the temp almost always climbs to 220+. I find that last bit odd because of the 6 ls powered vehicles in the family, including the other two caprices, it is the only one to have temps climb after its off like that.

I did inspect all of the fan connectors and they were not swollen or deformed. I also monitor the fan demand PID and that seems to be in spec. I will look into testing the fans more thoroughly before pulling the trigger on a water pump.