Engine removal help.

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
frbtofdth

Engine removal help.

Post by frbtofdth »

Bout to pull the engine on my 2015 and had a couple questions;
1) Has anyone pulled the engine only from the top using a 1 ton hoist? Does the bumper and crash absorber have to come off?
2) Are there any hidden grounds I should know of?
3) Does the tranny have to be supported after being disconnected from the engine, or is the crossmember good enough?
GammaFlat

Re: Engine removal help.

Post by GammaFlat »

If you haven't pulled your engine already...

I've pulled engines but not from Caprice... take the following with that in mind.
Pulling from the top with a 1 ton hoist is fine. Remove the hood first and be extremely careful (at least two guys, possibly cover the windshield) - everybody knows a story where the windshield was broken during hood removal.
Grounds: I'm sure there are a few but they'll be obvious with the rest of the wiring harness connections.
I would support the transmission (I generally do when pulling a motor - or pull both at the same time). It's going to be sitting on the crossmember which is way aft.
You probably want to leave the torque converter on the trans so you're going to need to separate from the flywheel.
It's a good time to change your motor mounts.
I'm not certain, but you may need to remove the fans/shroud behind the radiator. For peace of mind, you may want to yank the radiator....
On the way back in, you may want to install a trans dip stick - someone recently mentioned that around here recently (great idea!).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio