Your thoughts on purchasing my first PPV and its a 9C3

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
GammaFlat

Re: Your thoughts on purchasing my first PPV and its a 9C3

Post by GammaFlat »

I have a 9C3 and I'm happy with it. You have an awesome looking car. I can't believe how clean it looks. The wheels are very nice - I assume those are Camaro wheels? I have 20 inch Camaro wheels that look great but require rear fender "rolling". I settled for the steelies with new tires for now. Maybe someday I'll roll the rear fenders (or sell my nice wheels :oops: ).

Here's my list and "food for thought":
  • I did the 3.27 and love it so far. ..it can make passengers "uncomfortable".
  • I am also waiting for a "fully functional" stereo (with Android Auto). More details on that after I have it working... lots of $$$.
  • I have Solo Axle Backs but would like to do the full exhaust. At the end of the day, it will probably cost me 2200 for what I want (Solo exhaust with hi flow cats and Kook Headers).
  • I'm very interested in seats. I'm not sure what will "bolt in". I guess I'm willing to do some fab work and I don't need heat - actually, if anything I want the cooling. I think G8 seats are possible?
  • Got the HPTuners. Haven't implemented anything yet. Should be fun.
  • Really want a cam and to replace crappy lifters. Possibly LS9 (have one in stock) but would prefer less LSA
  • Head work and a converter are not off the table.
  • If the engine comes out for the cam (not sure yet), I'll be very tempted to go 402 with a 4 inch stroke 8-) for some street grunt
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
joshtex

Post by joshtex »

GammaFlat wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:35 pm I have a 9C3 and I'm happy with it. You have an awesome looking car. I can't believe how clean it looks. The wheels are very nice - I assume those are Camaro wheels? I have 20 inch Camaro wheels that look great but require rear fender "rolling". I settled for the steelies with new tires for now. Maybe someday I'll roll the rear fenders (or sell my nice wheels :oops: ).

Here's my list and "food for thought":
  • I did the 3.27 and love it so far. ..it can make passengers "uncomfortable".
  • I am also waiting for a "fully functional" stereo (with Android Auto). More details on that after I have it working... lots of $$$.
  • I have Solo Axle Backs but would like to do the full exhaust. At the end of the day, it will probably cost me 2200 for what I want (Solo exhaust with hi flow cats and Kook Headers).
  • I'm very interested in seats. I'm not sure what will "bolt in". I guess I'm willing to do some fab work and I don't need heat - actually, if anything I want the cooling. I think G8 seats are possible?
  • Got the HPTuners. Haven't implemented anything yet. Should be fun.
  • Really want a cam and to replace crappy lifters. Possibly LS9 (have one in stock) but would prefer less LSA
  • Head work and a converter are not off the table.
  • If the engine comes out for the cam (not sure yet), I'll be very tempted to go 402 with a 4 inch stroke 8-) for some street grunt
Thanks man. She is a gem, for sure. Thats a great list. From what I Understand G8 seas and SS seats will work with wiring modifications.
My route is a bit different:
1. Doug Thorly headersw/ hight flow cats with some big Magna Flow mufflers to keep it semi-quiet
2. BTR Stage 2 cam during DOD Delete
3. ZL1 Converter, I understand they are quite inexpensive, new.
4. SS 3.27 Diff
5. BC Coils
6. Shallow mount Kenwood head unit after removing existing infotainment screen, Amps, Speakers, Sub...
7. SS Seating
8. LSA Super Charger and 6 speed, down the road a few years.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

6. Shallow mount Kenwood head unit after removing existing infotainment screen, Amps, Speakers, Sub...
I've been on the hunt for a stereo for a while. I believe your head unit is integrated with the HVAC system. This greatly limits options. The path I'm running down is an Aussie unit (LSXTreme). It looks just like ours but has the backup camera functionality working, Bluetooth, USB port (important for AA) and Android Auto (the important thing for me). All that for about a grand.
There are other options like White Automotive - you can send your radio to them for updates. Here's some text from their site (for 175 bucks):
Bluetooth for Phone With Phonebook Download and Voice Command/Siri Access
Bluetooth Streaming Audio
Bluetooth Pairing of External Devices IE GPS systems for Voice Routing
USB Audio Support (requires customer sourced USB cord; see note below)
iPod/iPhone support (requires customer sourced USB cord; see note below)
Rear Auxiliary Input (requires customer sourced aux in plug; see note below)
Video Input (requires customer sourced aux in plug; see note below)
Backup Camera input with Guidelines (requires customer sourced aux in plug; see note below)
In motion Lockouts (IWM/VIM) Removed for Video Input/Phone/Navigation
VIN Transfer Programming for a used radio to a new vehicle
An obvious omission as far as I'm concerned is Android Auto. Android Auto gets you (Google) mapping, as well as displaying (and interacting with) any phone apps on your stereo screen.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio