Winter handling/traction

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
kevink

Re: Winter handling/traction

Post by kevink »

What more can you really do besides snow tires and weight in the trunk? You can't expect miracles. Limited slip actually helps traction in the snow since you don't just sit there spinning the one wheel that's on snow or ice.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

jj55chevy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:43 am I do have winter tires on it now but the guy at Discount Tire said that what I have on there is the best I can get so in a nutshell these cars are pretty worthless in the winter.....mines going up for sale, I might as well have bought a Camaro
What do you have on it?
The change from the Goodyear ultragrips (which claim to be a snow tire) to the Michelin x-ice was drastic. My wife came home from town the other day and forgot that the snowstorm would leave the hill…difficult. Then she also forgot to get a run at it until she was almost on it. She said it got squirrelly when she first hit it but made it the rest of the way without spinning. She was very surprised how much difference GOOD snow tires can make.
CapriceX2
2011 Caprice 9C3 - TSP 220R W/ DOD delete, 10.8:1 Compression, Custom Stainless Exhaust
1995 Caprice Classic Wagon
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I realize it had less power, but I went all in with my Crown Vic. Snow tires with studs, that car handled everything thrown at it. Yes the studs are loud but I never got stuck nor had any concerns about what was facing me that morning. As stated, snow tires and weight, that's about it. Had General Altimax Arctic tires, and have had them on all my cars that are driven in winter.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

I always wanted to try studded tires, but they are illegal here except for emergency vehicles, mail delivery, and out of state plates.
CapriceX2
2011 Caprice 9C3 - TSP 220R W/ DOD delete, 10.8:1 Compression, Custom Stainless Exhaust
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Yeah I was reticent and man are they loud but they proved themselves valuable time and time again. When I first drove off I realized that THIS was the sound the mail trucks always used to make.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

kevink wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:31 pm What more can you really do besides snow tires and weight in the trunk? You can't expect miracles. Limited slip actually helps traction in the snow since you don't just sit there spinning the one wheel that's on snow or ice.
actually the limited slip hurts with the winter driving in the fact that it lets the car slide sideways....I have lived/driven in Minnesota all my life and have always preferred a typical non posi in the winter just to keep the ass end from swinging out. granted there are times when a posi is nice but if you have to depend on it you should have driven your truck.
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

CapriceX2 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:35 pm
jj55chevy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:43 am I do have winter tires on it now but the guy at Discount Tire said that what I have on there is the best I can get so in a nutshell these cars are pretty worthless in the winter.....mines going up for sale, I might as well have bought a Camaro
What do you have on it?
The change from the Goodyear ultragrips (which claim to be a snow tire) to the Michelin x-ice was drastic. My wife came home from town the other day and forgot that the snowstorm would leave the hill…difficult. Then she also forgot to get a run at it until she was almost on it. She said it got squirrelly when she first hit it but made it the rest of the way without spinning. She was very surprised how much difference GOOD snow tires can make.
The tires I have are called Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip
CapriceX2

Post by CapriceX2 »

Those are horrible in the snow. No wonder you aren’t happy.
Every one of my vehicles has limited slip or a locker. If they weren’t built with it, I added it myself. The difference in traction on some surfaces is extreme. Can it get tail happy? Sure. But an open diff can do that. I don’t see that as any kind of problem.
CapriceX2
1996 K2500 6.5L diesel
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

CapriceX2 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:26 pm Those are horrible in the snow. No wonder you aren’t happy.
Every one of my vehicles has limited slip or a locker. If they weren’t built with it, I added it myself. The difference in traction on some surfaces is extreme. Can it get tail happy? Sure. But an open diff can do that. I don’t see that as any kind of problem.
I am willing to bet that a posi is going to get a lot more "tail happy" than a non posi on a cloverleaf
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I grew up in the hills and bluffs of the Missouri River near Omaha, NE. Always had rear wheal drive vehicles. With good snow tires and some weight in the trunk, very seldom got stuck. Never stranded. I actually just purchased my first 4X4 after 45 years of driving. Only because it was rust free and low miles. It is parked for the winter. ;) Gentle rocking and easy throttle application always got me out of struck situations. I always liked having a posi out back. I did find that under acceleration around a corner, a posi would cause the steering tires to "push" on snow covered roads.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof