My 2012 PPV on the freeway

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Buck531

My 2012 PPV on the freeway

Post by Buck531 »

I know i'm not the only one who gets this driving on the freeway. On the outer belt where I live (Columbus Ohio), no one cares because the Caprices weren't around here at all. Outside the city.. lol. game changer. Managed to grab this video a few weeks ago when I was on 71 N. :D :D :D :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFfWjg7SoUA
'12 Caprice 6.0. Roto-fab intake. Camaro SS 20" wheels.
87 Fiero. 3800 Swapped. cam, head, headers, Gen V, etc 11.75 @ 116
BluesBro

Re: My 2012 PPV on the freeway

Post by BluesBro »

I drive 50+ miles on the interstate every day to get to work. On days I take the avalanche I get stuck behind slow people in the left lane. On days I take the Caprice, everyone mysteriously moves out of the way before I get close...lol.

Increasingly interesting seeing that only a dozen or so Caprices were ever put in service in this state, and none were in service anywhere near where I am. I guess just the white car with a spotlight does the trick.

I don't get this reaction from cars approaching from behind, the exhaust/stance/spoiler must detract from the "official" look.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Buck531

Post by Buck531 »

Yep. I think the spot light does it the most. The fake antennas really don't do it. Most people fly up and then see the spot light and are like oh ffffff.

I've also seen a few fly by, see the push bar and just slowly back down. Almost like homer simpson disappearing into the bush lol.
'12 Caprice 6.0. Roto-fab intake. Camaro SS 20" wheels.
87 Fiero. 3800 Swapped. cam, head, headers, Gen V, etc 11.75 @ 116
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

That never happens to me here since Caprices were never used here as cop cars. Hell, I probably have the only one in the whole country!

Well, it did happen once where it still had the stock wheels and I was going the speed limit on the highway. A car first tried to pass me in the fast lane and then backed off. It had Virginia plates. :lol:
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

What's even funnier is in Ohio a patrol unit has to be marked. So an unmarked isn't going to be running around doing traffic enforcement. (Ohio Revised Code 4549.13)
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

You are all probably missing the magic driver trigger if you want traffic to slow.....

AVS Ventshades!

I've run them on all my cars for years and years (well, except my two Mercedes E-class that are now both in the bank, those were OEM Mercedes), reason being that it gets bloody hot in Florida about 8-9 months out of the year and it helps keep the car interiors cooler with the windows cracked. And the rain stays out. Win Win.

No matter what car I have those on, people apply brakes like crazy.. .simply because all the old cop cars from the 1980's and somewhat into the 1990's had them. I mean... c'mon folks, a Mercedes DIESEL isn't going to be pulling people over and issuing traffic tickets! But every day people refused to pass it. In their minds, this is what they are getting ready to pass like a granny going for the blue light special at K-Mart in her wobbly shopping cart when they encounter them....
oldcar3.jpg
oldcar3.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 898 times
But, if you notice in the old days they were chrome.

We actually worked with AVS's customer service staff in the early days of the system to get these manufactured. The fronts are the same as used on the G8, the rears had to be custom engineered due to the longer wheelbase for the Caprice.

That was my gratuitous plug for AVS :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.