Why are our cars ignored?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Scot

Why are our cars ignored?

Post by Scot »

My view from Zurich is a little myopic but the fact that only law enforcement fleet sales (15K from 2011-2017) was an "end of Holden" reality might have a lot to do with it. For me buying auctioned off PPV's for< 10K USD each with free shipping to Switzerland (your tax dollars at work) has made taking a deep dive into them worth it. The 5 series BMW really was the benchmark for Holden during development of the PPV and the LEO's had a burning desire to have a chase car for all those "evil law breakin speedy cars." Here's one of mine:
Whoops, still photo impaired. Soon as I can I'll post my three, one white, one black and white still (the most radical one with a dog hammock instead of any back seat), one black. All 2014 9C1's
The white one is my wife's favorite; how so? We sold her 2002 Bentley Arnage R so she could drive it. Detective interior, rugs, slam the doors and you'd think it's a Lexus. Quiet with OEM exhaust, ~450 HP even with cast iron exhaust manifolds, gentle balanced sway bars from BMR, Soft setting on F+R. OEM springs, shock/struts. The all black one is a future project, no definitive plan. The black and white was obviously built because I saw The Road Warrior too many times.
Scot

Re: Why are our cars ignored?

Post by Scot »

"slam the doors and you'd think it's a Lexus. "
That was humor, not really serious. Yet. All the sound deadening in the roof when deleting the copper stuff was worth it. Ballistic door panels help too.
I am told I often fail to provide context. My attempt to learn to do so.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

The Caprice could have had so many more sales in the US if it had only been opened up to other entities besides law enforcement. General government, Fire service (although some did manage to slip in that ordered though PD's), Livery/taxi/limo services, even elderly transport vehicles for service organizations due to the long wheelbase and wider rear doors.

No telling what would have happened if it had been properly advertised to the general public with some nicer trim offerings such as found down under. One reason I've heard that it wasn't more widely offered is that it would pull customers from other GM lines (such as Impala, Malibu, a few of the Cadillac & Buick brands, etc...). The deal was only really done to prop up Holden for a number of years until the plug was pulled. The SS was only marketed to a very narrow segment of the population and as such sales weren't the greatest. Not a lot of the older demographic would like to sit on Recaros, lol!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Scot

Post by Scot »

elc32955 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:21 pm
No telling what would have happened if it had been properly advertised to the general public with some nicer trim offerings such as found down under. One reason I've heard that it wasn't more widely offered is that it would pull customers from other GM lines (such as Impala, Malibu, a few of the Cadillac & Buick brands, etc...). The deal was only really done to prop up Holden for a number of years until the plug was pulled. The SS was only marketed to a very narrow segment of the population and as such sales weren't the greatest. Not a lot of the older demographic would like to sit on Recaros, lol!
The SS is dynamically inferior to the PPV. Not close to the 50/50 weight distribution of the PPV. Cadillac? No. the 60/40 Impala? :lol:
OK this is only one data item but GM has a track record of getting something right and then not capitalizing on it. I'm sure the moderator of the SS forum hates me.
Z09SS

Post by Z09SS »

Scot wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:00 am
elc32955 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:21 pm
The SS is dynamically inferior to the PPV. Not close to the 50/50 weight distribution of the PPV. Cadillac? No. the 60/40 Impala? :lol:
OK this is only one data item but GM has a track record of getting something right and then not capitalizing on it. I'm sure the moderator of the SS forum hates me.
GM's history is to get it right, and that's the last year of it.
Scot

Post by Scot »

Sad but true.