I'm surprised

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
Mooseman

Re: I'm surprised

Post by Mooseman »

I think FB is killing forums in general but it's just a wasteland to try and find anything in their groups.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Over ten years ago there was quite a lot of traffic here. Most of the in-depth, lengthy discussions were from "the few and the brave" that figured out these cars and contributed to the wealth of information here. Not going to easily find that level of resources on FB...

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

A lot of issues have been "hashed out" here which is extremely valuable. We have resources like crazy all worked out. The FB stuff is very active. I can't seem to get into my account any more and I'm not willing to spend too much effort doing so. The great thing about FB is the marketplace. I regret not having that capability but I'll live. We'll continue slogging away here. It's a great community with less flim flam and more structure and mature enthusiasm.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I hate the FB car "forums". For starters I don't have a FB account so I had to create a fake account just to visit them. Then searching and trying to find the information you need is an exercise in futility. Same with FB Marketplace. FB Marketplace is designed to keep you on the website as long as possible, not to find what you are looking for. Terrible search engine, non-existent filtering, promoted listings that don't even have your search terms yet pop up before the actual results, can't web crawl it, can set up automatic notifications filtered to what I am looking for.... I don't understand why so many people use it because it is so terrible. I love Craigslist but it is dead. I can set up a very specific search term, search radius, price range, etc. and I get an email when there is a result. That is how it should be. Too bad there are no results anymore. LOL. Unless you are on a car forum of a popular current platform they seem to be pretty dead. Not just this one but everyone is slowly dying as people migrate to FB. FB is such a terrible format and I don't know why people love/use it so much. Everything about FB is designed to keep you engaged as long as possible to show you as many ads as possible. It really is a terrible platform for the organization and sharing of knowledge.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

I can feel the anger coming through your post and I agree with every part of it. I miss craigslist for classifieds, and it being dead is probably why everything I list no longer sells. Hate FB, cluttered, terrible searching... It's just like a stream of consciousness with everything posted.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

More and more people are migrating to formats that are easily compatible with or written for smart phones. During our last major site revision a few years back I saw this trend coming and modified the forums so as to make them compatible to a high degree with smart phones. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better then it was when we first started.

The other site sections I have left in their HTML formats... Why? The coding is fairly simple and I can maintain it myself more or less. It's really funny when I review the site statistics on a periodic basis, I keep seeing hit after hit after hit from IP's in foreign countries trying to hack Wordpress. The problem for them is that we're NOT a Wordpress-utilizing site. So, a majority of the hackers bypass us since the site is too old-school for them and move on to other more attractive targets.

I've commented in many different threads about my personal opinion of Facebook, so I won't take up the room here again repeating myself. Facebook is what it is, a mongaloid relational database written for app-driven users. To a large extent it has captured a majority of user traffic very well. I still think a bot could be written that would bi-directionally link the forums here with the Facebook group discussions, but it will never happen. Why? I'd be sued down to the last piece of lint in my socks by Facebook. Data silos thrive on keeping their data in-house and everyone that feeds the pig contributes to that. No free-flow of information allowed, MINE MINE MINE!! Anyone can read 95+% of our discussions, pull information from our file section, or follow the multitude of links available here - we only require a user account if you want to post. I didn't design the system to make a profit off of, I designed it for information exchange - plain & simple.

We're not the newest, flashiest site in town and we will probably never be - but we're consistent, we've been here almost 10 years now and we don't make a profit off our users by harvesting every last little bit of personal data we can glean from them then shoving ads down their throat. I hop & pray the day never comes where we have to embrace ad revenue for system survival. Eventually people may realize what a good deal they have with our system once they get tired of the shenanigans going on over there in Metaland...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Katrina,
Please share your thoughts on sound deadening. I have a Caprice (9C3). It's a little loud and promises to get louder. I have some sound deadening material. Help.
Thanks,
John
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio