Parts interchange / compatibility list for G8, SS, & PPV?

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
markf1971

Parts interchange / compatibility list for G8, SS, & PPV?

Post by markf1971 »

Hey,

I have found a lot of really great information on this forum. I found a list of part numbers that might really be handy for me in the future. I want to ask if anyone has compiled a list of parts by description or numbers, that will interchange with the PPV? In other words what all G8 parts will work on the PPV and what years? Also, what all SS Sedan parts will work on the PPV and what years? Which ones are 'plug N play' & which ones require 'extra' work to fit or function in the PPV. I figure that it probably exists, but I couldn't find a list of such when searching for "interchange". Any help would be appreciated.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: Parts interchange / compatibility list for G8, SS, & PPV?

Post by Pursuit »

Markf1971,
It might help to keep in mind that the 11-13 PPV's are of a VE/WM architecture and the 14-17's are VF/WN architecture. This will help to match parts. There is also a Zeta chassis and Alpha Chassis that were used for the early model Camaros. The Zeta chassis was also under the G8's. Some suspension and brake parts interchange. There are a few threads that document the brake and suspension interchangeability.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
markf1971

Post by markf1971 »

Pursuit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:29 am Markf1971,
It might help to keep in mind that the 11-13 PPV's are of a VE/WM architecture and the 14-17's are VF/WN architecture. This will help to match parts. There is also a Zeta chassis and Alpha Chassis that were used for the early model Camaros. The Zeta chassis was also under the G8's. Some suspension and brake parts interchange. There are a few threads that document the brake and suspension interchangeability.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice,

That's good to know. Personally I was interested in cosmetics like front door panels (requires PPV harness & switches to be swapped), SS center console (but leaves a gap), rear seats, front seats, dash pad or trim, wheels, & such.

Just thought it would be an awesome resource if all mix n match (with notes if mods are needed) parts were listed all together in one list or spreadsheet.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

SO.... let me get this straight. You want a compendium of parts interchange for a variety of Caprice subsystems regarding interchange to & from the G8 and the SS? Including seats and seat components, door panels, dash pads, wheels, etc etc?

That would be a heck of a lot of work for us to put together. Some of the info you seek is in the threads, but your best bet is to first do part search lookups on the GM parts sites that have computerized references directly into the GM databases, such as GM Parts Direct, etc... A few of the Cadillac and Buick sites have those as well. THEN if you have a question about compatibility and the parts databases don't show what you need or are confusing, ask if it's not covered in the forum subsections. You also have the G8 and SS forums at your disposal if you have questions about their parts.

I don't have any volunteers clamoring at the door to put this kind of detailed list together. And, we all have pretty busy lives outside of this forum. Sounds good in discussion, practical development and execution would be a bit.... challenging. The folks here are all volunteer, not paid staff that I can assign a research project to with a completion suspense.
I want to ask if anyone has compiled a list of parts by description or numbers, that will interchange with the PPV? In other words what all G8 parts will work on the PPV and what years? Also, what all SS Sedan parts will work on the PPV and what years? Which ones are 'plug N play' & which ones require 'extra' work to fit or function in the PPV.
If you would like to research this, develop & document your data and create a list that would be forum-friendly I'd be glad to post the end product in the files section with our sincere thanks. I'm pretty sure that the members here with GM connections would hopefully be able to work with you on a time-available basis to ask questions of if you ran into stumbling blocks.

I'm sure this isn't the answer you wanted, but bigger resources then what I can interface would be required to create such a comprehensive list.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

And it's not just interchange but if there are fitment issues or modifications that have to be done, you still have to do a search for relevant info. For example, G8 seats into a 11-13 Caprice still needs a fair bit of modifications to make them work. Would make a single document or thread a bit unwieldy.

However, on another forum I moderate, we have FAQ threads that point to existing threads to the most requested or popular info. It's controlled by mods only and locked. Maybe that's something that could be entertained here?

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/fa ... i-6.17025/
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/fa ... ion.17032/

And we have a list of the FAQs:
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/faq-threads.17034/
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Probably the best thing you can do in determining what fits & doesn't is to use the "Buyers Guide" feature on a website such as Rock Auto. It won't provide absolute assurance as to interchangeability, but it's probably accurate beyond 80% of the time.

When searching, it's probably better to NOT look at OEM parts - aftermarket sources generally will reveal what they find to work on multiple platforms more readily than OE-sourced components.

As these vehicles age, the only source options for replacement "wear" components (mostly undercar) consolidates. Interior, trim, etc, is going to be up to aftermarket decisions on worthiness to continue providing parts support for cars not made in the US. Australia will continue to be the most reliable source for parts, as the small numbers of cars produced & brought to the US makes it difficult for any US specialty suppliers to create a niche for Holden-based models.

For the time being, go to G8 Only, SS Only, or Holden Parts USA for the best range of new parts. How long these sources can sustain is dependent on the willingness of vehicle owners to support them. PPV owners, especially, seem less-inclined to invest in new parts and trade away to something else rather than continue to spend money on a used cop car.
Rgt818

Post by Rgt818 »

Does anyone know difference of 11-13 hood vs 14-17. I see different part #, but are they interchangeable?