The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Tell us about your new PPV, show us some pictures, let us know how you did what you did!
Forum rules
One thread per car per member in this section. No thread hijacking in this section please, if it's strictly a tech discussion please move it to the appropriate sub-forum - moderators can assist if needed or requested.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: The no budget build - manual, LSA, SS

Post by Pursuit »

I am going to add this Factory LED Tail light link in here.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1253&p=11227&hilit ... ail#p11227

Fuzzkill has given us some great insight here. A little more shouldn't hurt... :)

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Pursuit wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:28 pm I am going to add this Factory LED Tail light link in here.

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... ail#p11227

Fuzzkill has given us some great insight here. A little more shouldn't hurt... :)

Maurice
Yeah I was pretty sure I had seen the BCM issue mentioned before. Should be able to test the lights out soon.

Anyway, just back in from out of town and I have a ton of packages waiting for me.

Lots of boring bits, like the new control arms and links.
Some interesting bits, like the ZL1 red stitched suede steering wheel
And what I was really waiting on, the AUS antenna, base, and door handle covers.

Apparently everything is bigger in Australia ...

With the antenna back in, I can install the B and C pillar trims and install the rear seats, will work on that tomorrow.

I need to find a close match for my paint color on the car to match the new handles - or may just shoot them black for now and leave it until I eventually get the car painted. I've tested a few and nothing was really close yet. Hard to do when I can't bring the car to compare colors and I can't see it in the sun.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

why the antenna change ? and not using the SS antenna ?
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 am why the antenna change ? and not using the SS antenna ?
SS antenna doesn't fit the profile of the roof correctly (it's minor but you would need some sealant or a gasket that didn't exist to make it right)

SS antenna is painted metallic black and would need to be painted to not stand out

I like the look of the mast antenna anyway :P
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

fuzzkill wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 am
s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:10 am why the antenna change ? and not using the SS antenna ?
SS antenna doesn't fit the profile of the roof correctly (it's minor but you would need some sealant or a gasket that didn't exist to make it right)

SS antenna is painted metallic black and would need to be painted to not stand out

I like the look of the mast antenna anyway :P
any pics of the fit ? i was lucky i bought a brand new SS antenna in mystic and my caprice is mystic , lol

fair enough
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 am
any pics of the fit ? i was lucky i bought a brand new SS antenna in mystic and my caprice is mystic , lol

fair enough
No, I don't think I took any. When it was tightened down if you looked from the side you could just barely see a gap of light in the middle, just the front and rear were making contact. You could cut out a thin foam gasket in the right shape or maybe better use some silicone sealant around the perimeter as you install it and then remove the excess.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

fuzzkill wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:06 am
s/c'd cav wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:31 am

fair enough
No, I don't think I took any. When it was tightened down if you looked from the side you could just barely see a gap of light in the middle, just the front and rear were making contact. You could cut out a thin foam gasket in the right shape or maybe better use some silicone sealant around the perimeter as you install it and then remove the excess.
cool , sounds easy enough , with a car cover i hate removing the antenna all the time , lol
fuzzkill

Post by fuzzkill »

Got the new handles installed. Reinstalled the remaining B and C pillar trim, along with the door weatherstripping and then the rear seats.

I was checking communications in the modules and realized that I needed to swap the anchor pretensioners in the seats. I had re-used my belts/reels from the Caprice as the SS ones had deployed but I forgot that there are 2 - one in the reel and one in the seat. Luckily, the SS and PPV anchor pretensioners not only interchange with each other, but with a ton of other late model GM vehicles. So I pulled my PPV ones and no more codes from them. Only codes left are for the knee and wheel airbags, which aren't in yet.

Was testing the lighting and it seems I'm not getting a left rear turn signal. Right rear is working OK, as well as all the other park/brake/reverse functions on both sides. Not really sure what is going on with that, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a big ordeal. I can't power up the car currently, I can only command functions with my scanner (BCM is always listening). Maybe it's a fluke. I have no reason to think that there is any issue with the harnesses I used from the SS - and since I can't power up into acc/run, I can't check for power at all the fuses quickly. So that will have to wait for later. Maybe if I get bored I'll dig further into the schematics but it looks like it is powered through one of the BCM power inputs.

Tomorrow I plan to clean up the shop some, and possibly get started on the motor. Going to be a bit before I can further troubleshoot any electrical.

Also, has anyone replaced their vapor barrier with Dynamat or similar? I insulated inside of the door shells already but wouldn't mind another layer before the door panels. Should be pretty easy to make watertight. Otherwise I'm probably going to need new vapor barriers and I've had bad luck with them in the past. We get a ton of rain and the car is normally parked on a left/right incline. The perfect storm to fill your interior if your shit isn't 100%. I really do not want to have to take the interior apart again. Or screw up my new carpet.
Fandango

Post by Fandango »

Keep up the great work!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

fuzzkill wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm Also, has anyone replaced their vapor barrier with Dynamat or similar? I insulated inside of the door shells already but wouldn't mind another layer before the door panels. Should be pretty easy to make watertight. Otherwise I'm probably going to need new vapor barriers and I've had bad luck with them in the past. We get a ton of rain and the car is normally parked on a left/right incline. The perfect storm to fill your interior if your shit isn't 100%. I really do not want to have to take the interior apart again. Or screw up my new carpet.
Would not recommend Dynamat for a vapor barrier serviceability would be compromised big time. I would recommend a secondary interior shell barrier to channel the water to the interior of the door. The way our vapor barriers attach with butyl it's asking for trouble. Went into it a bit here. https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewto ... 219#p23210

So I ended up with 3 layers for water and sound control:
1. Interior liner to direct water to bottom of door. Clear plastic 8 MIL
2. Outer vapor barrier - Factory plastic piece - new butyl rubber along the bottom
3. Layer or Sound Dampening Mass Loaded Vinyl hanging from velcro strips at the top of the door panel so can be removed for service
4. Door Panel
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White