2015 headlight condensation

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
vetterss

2015 headlight condensation

Post by vetterss »

For some reason my '15 Caprice decided to have the dreaded condensation build up on the passenger side headlight. Are there any sources out there with aftermarket type headlights that could be installed? Prices for used ones seem to be priced out of this world but I guess that is expected with the years going by.
Mike
1973 Corvette Coupe
2023 C8 Corvette Coupe
s/c'd cav

Re: 2015 headlight condensation

Post by s/c'd cav »

only choice is OE , new or used , or trying to get them from over seas , in which you want ones from the UAE , the aussie headlights are set up for RHD cars
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Were strobes (flashers) installed in your lenses? I removed the lenses, bulbs and globes (projectors). Then I cleaned the inside, and resealed the bottom on the outside where the wires were for the stobe. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of the reseal. Fortunately, the police equipment fitter didn't leave holes in my lenses, and replaced the small circle he removed to install the strobe. I just smoothed out the fitter's silicone, appllied 2 strips of electrical tape, then brushed on a thick layer of liquid electrical tape over top (see link). https://images.thdstatic.com/productIma ... 4_1000.jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NYpC-E ... sp=sharing
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

I have these and like them a lot.

https://www.ozeparts.com.au/holden/stat ... 08787.html

I heard they have a tendency to be badly sealed from the factory so I put black RTV around the seam before installing.
They use H7 bulbs for both the high and low beams and the turn signal bulbs are PY21W instead of the H7/H11 low and high beam and H21W bulbs the US headlights use.
Aftermarket headlights 2013 Caprice PPV
Aftermarket headlights 2013 Caprice PPV
tempImagePoBZyj.gif (799.89 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
2015 Caprice 6.0
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

@DapperDanMan Many Thanks for the link! Do you notice any alignment differences for RH vs LH drive from AU to US? Side comment/question: Has anyone with a pushbar unit ever replaced their front absorber? (So far, I have not) lol https://www.oempartsquick.com/oem-parts ... LWZsZXg%3D
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Same questions as well. Did you try to take them apart to see if you could alter or install different projectors on the low beam to get the cutoff correct? Otherwise you might be blinding everyone with the cutoff going up towards oncoming traffic.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

I can get a pic of the cutoff later at nigh and post it.
I don’t have any issues with them, I don’t have people flashing their brights at me either. There is a metal plate in the projector the creates the cutoff and it’s not even all the way across one side steps down, and on these lights the side where the beam is “higher” is the driver side. So I just adjusted them to where that part of the cutoff was at an appropriate level that I could see but not blind people. The cutoff with the LED bulbs is very sharp and defined, I never tried them with regular bulbs.
I really want to get one of those replacement bumper pads, but due to the cost it’s not high on my priority list.
2015 Caprice 6.0
DapperDanMan

Post by DapperDanMan »

Here is the cutoff. Ignore the height, my driveway slopes pretty good, also, they haven’t been aligned in this car, I just transferred them over from my ‘13 before I sold it.
Attachments
88B52723-24EC-4219-AF69-500B5FD94C02.jpeg
88B52723-24EC-4219-AF69-500B5FD94C02.jpeg (4.13 MiB) Viewed 2784 times
2015 Caprice 6.0
vetterss

Post by vetterss »

Been a bit since I posted my problem, but the problem went away. I'm sure it has to do with the weather but we have had similar weather to when the condensation built up and it no longer condenses. I did buy a replacement headlight so have that as backup.
Mike
1973 Corvette Coupe
2023 C8 Corvette Coupe
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Right on. For the record: I meant *projectors not *globes. They aren't the same thing, my bad.