Radio dead

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Radio dead

Post by elc32955 »

This may be germane to the radio dead issue. GM issued a radio software update bulletin on May 4, 2012 (12-08-44-002) which covers a number of quirks in the 2011-2012 Holden iQ units, one of those was radio going dead with no function onto black screen. The fix was an updated SPS program from the dealer using TIS2WEB. The bulletin itself is categorized under "April 2012 radio software enhancements". Oh, and in the bulletin it says cycling the ignition "typically recovers" operation. GammaFlat this sounds like your symptom and recovery. I'd talk to whoever sold you that radio and take them to task for selling you a unit with non-current software!

Well, we know that these flashes never occurred unless the car was brought in for service on the specific item. There's a whole laundry list of things that it corrects.

If your VIN breakpoint is before 1/23/2012 and your VIN is lower then "6G1******CL628884" you need the update. Especially if your radio is going dead stick on you. I was doing updates and I remembered there was a bulletin on the iQ units and happened to run across the text in an old archive.

Hopefully this may save folks a bunch of grief replacing hardware they may not have to. Now, let's hope the flash still exists and it can be applied through your friendly local dealerships! Also, in researching this a little further I found anecdotally in an old thread that users have had success with a complete system power-down and restart by pulling the 25-amp radio fuse located in the trunk. Might try this as well....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Thank you Eric. BTW, if I had to do it again, I'm not sure what I'd do. I like the Android Auto capability but I have noticed a couple of "anomalies". 1) Low-ish battery.. dead radio (probably the issue you address), 2) not well behaved when bluetooth is interrupted - you have to re-program your dang phone, 3) Occasionally, the radio seems to lose it's mind (maybe also related to what you're talking about) in terms of its conversation with your phone (bluetooth, USB connection).
It may be that the Aussie folks would be great about addressing these issues but I really don't want to be shipping my radio half way around the world (or taking my dash apart) every time it sneezes (that's kinda on me for buying from them). I do love the backup camera and blue tooth phone connection (available with Chris White's assistance and some wiring).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

Hey Eric,
Thanks for all of the useful info, I am going to try all of this and see what happens, I have driven the car about ten times since I posted and the screen is black and still have no controls. I appreciate your help with the info. I did pull all of the fuses and everything was okay.
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
nmargrave

Post by nmargrave »

Update: The 25 AMP fuse in the truck was corroded, but not too bad. I decided to clean up the fuses with some sandpaper and the radio and HVAC turned back on. I could not believe it. What are the chances..... the fuse really did not look that bad. That for all of your help guys, appreciate it.
Nick
Kooks to 3in solo exhaust, Rotofab CAI, Livernois tune, daily driver
2013 9C1 6.0L Kooks to 3in Solo exhaust, Livernois tune, AFM disabled, with a manual oil block off in the oil sensor hole, Rotofab CAI, Viper alarm system with remote start, 8 inch subwoofer, Camaro transmission pan, daily driver.
HoldOn SV

Post by HoldOn SV »

Fantastic! This thread is a perfect example of what makes this forum great. TYVM for posting!