2014 WN cooling fans won't turn on

Discussion on Air Conditioning/Heat & electronic controls for the same, radiators/fans/engine cooling and related items.
Odyssey

Re: 2014 WN cooling fans won't turn on

Post by Odyssey »

rcg530 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:29 pm The smaller connector in your picture is number 4 in the diagram in my post and that's the "X100 Front Fascia Harness to Body Harness" connector.

It doesn't have any of the cooling system wiring running through it. It looks like it has wires for the parking lamps in the bumper fascia.

2014_caprice_x100.png
Ah, good deal thank you. This problem is so strange I'm trying to go back and double check all the basic things to see if I missed something simple. Glad to know this missing piece is outside the scope of my fan issue 👍
Odyssey

Post by Odyssey »

Beginning to think this is a problem with a short or some shoddy upfitter wiring. I'm now getting a DTC for U0401 Invalid Data Received from ECM. Also getting multiple permanent DTCs for my throttle body voltage, reads roughly 20% at idle. Also radio always has power, even with key out of ignition.

I tried checking continuity between ground and hot wires in engine bay and its not an open loop.

I've been so laser focused on the fan problem I didn't notice these until today.

Think I'm going to put the fan specific problem on pause until I work through these other issues. I have a feeling these other problems are contributing to my fan delima.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

I don't believe a U0401 would be a wiring problem. It just means there was a corrupt message from the PCM. That would more likely be a U01XX or U02XX, Lost Communication Code, not an Invalid Data Code.

Joe
Odyssey

Post by Odyssey »

You may be right on the U401 code, it seemed to clear on its own after starting the car and hasn't came back.

Good news is my fans are working!

I removed all the accessory battery components. There was at the very least a parasitic draw there.

Also noticed when I commanded fans on and changed the duty cycle the AC relay would randomly click. No rhyme or reason, just ranomly click when duty cycle changed. So I replaced that relay and now I have working fans.

Not sure if the AC relay caused the problem, the accy battery was the problem, or if my fans working now is a fluke... but man it felt good hearing them turn on!
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Woohoo! Glad they're working. Just for the sake of curiosity, please try your scanner to command the fan on. I'm wondering if it really won't do it, and that contributed to you going on a wild goose chase.
Joe
Odyssey

Post by Odyssey »

Checked with the scanner and they come on when commanded now. The only setting I needed to use in HPTuners was Fan Speed and set the % duty cycle. The other settings will turn the fans on individually, but turning fan speed on and setting the duty cycle will get both fans spinning.

Thank you guys so much for helping me through this. Seems like all my original fan equipment was in good working order, but I learned a ton and have some new tools to boot. Thank you again.
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Glad you got it fixed.

Joe