Easier/cheaper way to fix a collapsed DOD/AFM lifter

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Mooseman

Re: Easier/cheaper way to fix a collapsed DOD/AFM lifter

Post by Mooseman »

I'd get a tune to be sure that it NEVER comes back on. The Range does work however, if it's taken out by an unknowing tech for some reason and it activates, it will fail again.

Mine never failed and I first disabled it with a Range and eventually a tune. The vast majority of failures have been of the DOD portion of the lifter but have seen a few of the rollers failing, which can happen to the DOD or regular lifters. Hopefully that's not what happened to yours. Which cylinder is showing a misfire? I don't know of a way to see if the lifter has completely failed without pulling the head. If the collapsed lifter fails to return with the modified push rod trick, then there's no choice.

The Range I would recommend to those with new vehicles still under warranty or where you can't tune without it triggering a checksum during a smog test.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

I was thinking I'd do this as a "SHORT TERM" fix while I ordered my DOD delete kit.....

But, it looks like the amount of work to get to the Lifter Release, then put things back together, only to tear it back down again in a week or two just doesn't seem worth it....

Of course, now I'm at the crossroads of JUST a DOD delete, or......

Do a complete motor rebuild, or.......

Buy a COMPLETE Short Block/Long Block that's either a 408/416.

With the prices and time frame for machine work locally, it almost makes sense to do a new motor.....
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

Well, I made a decision today, and dropped a bunch of money at Brian Tooley Racing.....

DOD kit and Hot Cam are on their way.....