LFX WOT pre-programmed limit

Tech discussions on the 3.6L V6 motor (LFX) used in the 2012 & up Caprice.
elc32955
System Manager

LFX WOT pre-programmed limit

Post by elc32955 »

Hey all,

I was doing a casual browse in the LFX section on Camaro5 the other day when I happened upon a very interesting post. One of their members is claiming (backed up by scans) that the LFX will not let you go WOT from a standing stop until you have hit 4,000 RPM - and seems to have logging data to back this up. Take a look here.....

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619783

Anyone seen this in the wild on our cars? I would assume for police work that the PCM has different programming..... but you know I can't be 100% positive about that as it's something I've never thought to check out on my car. I suppose this would definitely kill any decent track times off the line only getting 70% throttle until you hit 4,000 RPM.

For clarity, this is ONLY a LFX condition, NOT L77.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm..... :cry:

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: LFX WOT pre-programmed limit

Post by Pursuit »

Eric,
I believe that with "drive by wire" and the stepper motor controlled throttle, we will see that. The computer knows that at the lower RPM's the motor isn't needing a physical WOT. It sees the request for WOT, but it is managing the request. The Mass Air Flow sensor knows a lot about what and how much air is entering the engine. It's allowing the air that is needed and maybe keeping the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) up? The computer ECM is managing the internal environment.
OLD SCHOOL comment... On my Quadrajets, the secondary air valve is adjustable and that Q-jet bog was caused by a weak tensioned spring. Once it was set up right, the secondary air valve would gradually open as the amount of air increased and also slowed the lifting of the secondary fuel rods.

Regards,
Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof