OT - looking for spotlight part for 92 Camaro

General topics relative to the Caprice and associated vehicles. For items not fitting into other sub-sections in addition to general chat.
CrashTestDummy

OT - looking for spotlight part for 92 Camaro

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Sorry to spam the list with stuff dealing with other cars, but since some of us here have, and have had, other retired service vehicles, I thought I'd try here to see how it goes. We have an ex-Texas DPS 1992 Camaro B4C 1LE that I'm slowly fixing up. Today, while pulling the shattered dash pad to replace it, I noticed that the driver's side spot light is missing the handle end. I'd like to replace it.

I haven't started the search yet, and honestly, really don't know where to start, so was hoping someone here could at least point me in some directions, or, perhaps, maybe even have a replacement they're not needing. I've included a picture of the passenger side handle. It's the very end of the handle, starting where the handle bells out to its largest diameter. Thanks.
spot light handle.JPG
spot light handle.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
elc32955
System Manager

Re: OT - looking for spotlight part for 92 Camaro

Post by elc32955 »

It should be a standard Unity spotlight, try doing a keyword search on "Unity spotlight handle" and you should get hits off that. There's a bunch of handles on EBAY from a quick browse. I think the company may still be in business actually....

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

I have a newer version. The black grip with the red ring. It's the entire handle, with the switch. Let me know if you think it will work for you.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It's a Unity 6S. Just verified while another member had a line on some parts.

We have the Unity spots on our Caprice and '18 Tahoe with the red stripe, but I'd rather get something period-correct. This car is really in near-OEM condition, other than being well-used (and with a crappy paint job over the OEM black and white), so I want to get parts that are not right corrected, and restored, if possible. Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I browsed Ebay and did see at least one of the period-correct handle assemblies. The one you're after has the smooth hard black plastic, not the rubberized version w/red stripe nor the white Bakelite grip. I had several of those at one time but can't find where I kept any. It was the biggest pain in the posterior to keep the handles on those tight.

I was tempted to pick up an FHP B4C years back when they were being sold off, let them all go though. Some of the biggest troopers used to cram themselves into those cars! I had already been the Mustang SSP route though, so wanted something not beat to death by Trooper Friendly in pursuit of acheiving his daily self-assigned goal numbers! They bent & broke pretty easily

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks. Yeah, I'm seeing some, too. We'll see.

They did get beat on, and this one especially after its service use. I think it didn't get much abuse during service, but was road raced a while and spent several years being regularly-autocrossed. I understand it even trophied at a SCCA National Championship event one year. When we got it, I DD it for a couple of years and let a couple of friends autocross it while we campaigned our C Prepared Firebird. It was then 'retired' when I picked up a 96 SS to DD.

The car continues to run great, and is a real joy to drive. The 5 speed shifts like buttah, and it runs really well for a lowly TPI 5.0L. We plan to get some broken things fixed, and the interior cleaned up a bit and drive it on nice days. I'd really like to get it back to its original factory black-and-white paint scheme. It's got a cheap and faded metallic blue overspray on it now.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I found aa parts light for $40, so it's on its way. The picture wasn't the best, so fingers crossed the handle cap is decent. It'll certainly fit in with the 'patina' of the rest of the car. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Solution found. Got the parts spotlight and the cap fit fine. It shows wear and tear from years of use, but don't we all? :lol:

While bolting down the restored dash pad, looking to see where I might have laid the old door window vent grills, I looked in the console compartment. No grills there, but it turns out that I actually had a cap, possibly the one that came from the driver's side spotlight handle, laying in the compartment.

It's been a while since I've worked on this car, with the bus and the SVO taking up most of my spare time over the last couple of years, so I obviously have some spare parts I didn't know I had. :o :lol:

Oh yeah and bonus points: The packing material the shipper used to pad the light were pages from blueprints for a county sheriff's office and jail facility. My wife's already snagged those to use in her scrap booking work. He probably really shouldn't have used that stuff for packing, but it's cool to see.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?