Aside from the G8/Chevy SS Console - are any other options?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
jpalmer

Aside from the G8/Chevy SS Console - are any other options?

Post by jpalmer »

My 9C1 as the typical square steel box mounted on a steel plate, with 2 cup holders and 3 power ports (that don't work) and I would like a to add a console with a padded armrest, box for storage, and two cup holders. Shifter is on the floor/console area.

I have read the threads about the G8 and the possibility of the Chevy SS console and they just seem really expensive, difficulty finding the parts, and a lot of customization.

Anybody out there find a different solution that can point me in the right direction. As always, pics are great!

Thanks!
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
1996 Caprice LT1 B4U - Sold - So long my friend - it was a great 17 years!
2004 Suburban 2500 6.0L 4x4
2023 Silverado 3500 High Country
CrashTestDummy

Re: Aside from the G8/Chevy SS Console - are any other optio

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow, you got the service console included in your car?? Nice! The 9C3 Caprice console also fits, but it, too, isn't cheap.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Yeah, it's working right now but this is quickly becoming my daily driver and I need a bit more storage inside the car. Here's what it looks like now....
Attachments
PPV Interior.jpeg
PPV Interior.jpeg (121.71 KiB) Viewed 16872 times
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, storage is at a premium on these cars. I'll probably move to a 9C3 console down the road, but for now, am working on fixing what's broken and pricing performance upgrades.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

This is the one that I always see on Ebay. By Nenno Products:

http://www.nenno-products.com/shopping/ ... d=3&pf=slp#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks kinda nice, handmade it seems and with different size cup holders. Even a little clear pocket for important papers under the lid. Not sure on durability but they are targeting police use so hopefully they beefed up stuff. About $190 with shipping.

Then I would just get the factory plastic cover to go over the rest of it:
Part: 92253929 - about $90.00
Becase I cannot tell if the cover is under your metal grid or not, but a fresh one would look nice with no holes and such. Then you could mount something next to the flat spot to the right of the gear shift. Phone holder or another little tray for small stuff would be nice. Wonder if the guys at Nenne could make you up something to match the center console.
Last edited by smwalker on Sun May 24, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
IDLife Caprice

Post by IDLife Caprice »

The nice thing about the plate is all the modular options available. You can really just pick what you want and mount it for a fraction of the price of the G8 or 9C3 options.

Sure they look nicer, but for all the time I spend in a car driving... I want function.
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

smwalker wrote:This is the one that I always see on Ebay. By Nenno Products:

http://www.nenno-products.com/shopping/ ... d=3&pf=slp#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks kinda nice, handmade it seems and with different size cup holders. Even a little clear pocket for important papers under the lid. Not sure on durability but they are targeting police use so hopefully they beefed up stuff. About $190 with shipping.

Then I would just get the factory plastic cover to go over the rest of it:
Part: 92253929 - about $90.00
Becase I cannot tell if the cover is under your metal grid or not, but a fresh one would look nice with no holes and such. Then you could mount something next to the flat spot to the right of the gear shift. Phone holder or another little tray for small stuff would be nice. Wonder if the guys at Nenne could make you up something to match the center console.
I have checked this one out, but with the shifter on the floor, the console is too long.

Only have about 17 3/4" to work with and this console is (I think) 24".

I was hoping that someone had found something that would fit. I think with the 9C3 you have to relocate the shifter. When I see pics of the 9C3 it looks like the shifter is more centered, but I don't know for sure.
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

IDLife Caprice wrote:The nice thing about the plate is all the modular options available. You can really just pick what you want and mount it for a fraction of the price of the G8 or 9C3 options.

Sure they look nicer, but for all the time I spend in a car driving... I want function.
I have only found one company that offers center console equipment, Gamber-Johnson, but they don't really offer just the console box w/ armrest, it always includes the huge mounting boxes for radios and other equipment (laptops) etc.
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yes Jeff the shifter in the 9C3 is on center. It seems like in a pic on the ebay auction they got it to work. Seems it even has a skirt on it to hide the console underneath probably becase it hangs off the back a bit. But yea right up against the shiftier. I would like to see ya make a custom one that wraps around the shifter. Get them woodworking muscles going! ;)

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

smwalker wrote:Yes Jeff the shifter in the 9C3 is on center. It seems like in a pic on the ebay auction they got it to work. Seems it even has a skirt on it to hide the console underneath probably becase it hangs off the back a bit. But yea right up against the shiftier. I would like to see ya make a custom one that wraps around the shifter. Get them woodworking muscles going! ;)

Nice pic Steve!

I actually like that a lot! I wonder how much it sticks over the back. As long as it wasn't wobbly I think I could make that work!

The space next to the shifter I could easily put in another cup holder or tray which would be just about perfect.

As for my wood working muscles, well, that there is just plain funny. :lol:
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L