Antenna, no AM, weak FM.

Electronic systems, stereo and Holden iQ, wiring, it all goes here....
Boingo

Antenna, no AM, weak FM.

Post by Boingo »

Just to help diagnose I plugged a different radio into the antenna plug everyone breaks at the silver box. The signal is no better with a different radio. Far as I can tell the male plug coming from the harness is intact. Does this plug or the part on the board in the box what usually breaks ?
Is this wire a direct line to the roof antenna or does it go through anything that could be the issue ?
Another idea, possible when they dropped the headliner to pull off roof lights they damaged the plug that connects to the roof antenna itself?
I know they were up there because they had cut the 3rd brake light wire above the headliner.

Luckily I don’t listen to the am/fm channels often. It just bugs me it’s not working
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
the voices say I am special :D
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Antenna, no AM, weak FM.

Post by smwalker »

Believe there is a plug adapter over below the kick panel fuse block. Maybe take off the kick panel cover and you can see it. Maybe broken.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

Roger. I will check that out. I’m sure it will pop right off 😅
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

smwalker wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:06 am Believe there is a plug adapter over below the kick panel fuse block. Maybe take off the kick panel cover and you can see it. Maybe broken.
You were right. Just below the kick panel fuse block. No evidence that plug was ever disturbed. Seems completely intact. Guess that leaves me the antenna connection or the wire from there. I looked through the rear dome light hole. Looks plugged in, but maybe something isn’t right up there.
Guess it’s time to redo the headliner. Looks like it would angle out the back door. Probably what people do.
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

friend of mine has seen them disconnected at the antenna itself , some were cut and the antenna used for police use

usually the ones that were cut from the roof antenna , were supposed to be moved to the rear glass antenna

the bad is you gotta drop the head liner to look at it
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

It would make sense you are right. I did see the third brake light wire was straight out cut above the headliner through the rear dome light hole. Would make sense they were ok cutting other things up there.
Appreciate the feed back
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Boingo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:00 pm It would make sense you are right. I did see the third brake light wire was straight out cut above the headliner through the rear dome light hole. Would make sense they were ok cutting other things up there.
Appreciate the feed back
hopefully they just left it disconnected , and didnt cut the cable

but if they did cut the cable , cut it back to expose the center wire , use a butt connector and some wire , and a spade terminal and connect it to the rear window terminal on the drive side near the top , also ground the outter braided wire on the cable

granted a better fix is to find a caprice part out and get the cable from it , since the reciption will be better from the roof antenna vs the rear window
Boingo

Post by Boingo »

s/c'd cav wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:16 pm
Boingo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:00 pm It would make sense you are right. I did see the third brake light wire was straight out cut above the headliner through the rear dome light hole. Would make sense they were ok cutting other things up there.
Appreciate the feed back

but if they did cut the cable , cut it back to expose the center wire , use a butt connector and some wire , and a spade terminal and connect it to the rear window terminal on the drive side near the top , also ground the outter braided wire on the cable

granted a better fix is to find a caprice part out and get the cable from it , since the reciption will be better from the roof antenna vs the rear window
Appreciate the ideas. I’ll just deal with it for now and attack it when I do the headliner. Might step up that project if it bugs me too much
2011 Chevy Caprice
26k mile purchase
2nd owner
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Boingo wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:35 pm
s/c'd cav wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:16 pm
Appreciate the feed back

Appreciate the ideas. I’ll just deal with it for now and attack it when I do the headliner. Might step up that project if it bugs me too much
you are welcome !!

i gotta have my tunes , lol
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

You could do a continuity test on the center wire from the antenna connector to the radio connector for a break.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419