Lugnut issues

Discussion on wheel & tire issues
Hurricane2

Lugnut issues

Post by Hurricane2 »

I am trying to do a break job but I am having problems with getting the lugnuts off. I looks like the aluminum nut/nut cover has expanded over time.
I tried buying a new set of lugnuts from autozone (White Knight Wheel Nut 20 Piece 783807) but these do not fit and I can't torque down the old nuts with the 22mm socket. They are on hand tight.
What is the aluminum piece the lugnut cover? if so can it be removed and are the underline nuts still 22mm?
I can't drive the car until I get this fixed.
Sanford

Re: Lugnut issues

Post by Sanford »

That part number you have posted are for 12mm studs. You need nuts for 14mm studs. Once you pull the stainless steel cover off of the lug, just try different size sockets until one fits decent.
Hurricane2

Post by Hurricane2 »

I am having trouble removing the cover from the lugnuts. The 22mm socket won't fit over all of them and I see that they aren't aluminum. Were there 23mm lugnuts that could have been intermixed with the 22mm while it was in service a a cop car?
Would it be easier to get 14mm size thread replacements?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

It sounds like somebody replaced the factory lugnuts with aftermarket ones. The factory lugnuts were open with a threaded outer to attach the full size hubcap. Maybe try an SAE socket to find the right size?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

had the same issue with my factory camaro lug nuts. I ended up buying a cheap 23mm and a cheap 22mm. I'd hammer the 23mm on to get most of them off. The few that the cladding really messed up I hammered the 22mm on. I replaced them with some 14mm gorilla spline style lugs I had.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Pursuit wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 am It sounds like somebody replaced the factory lugnuts with aftermarket ones. The factory lugnuts were open with a threaded outer to attach the full size hubcap. Maybe try an SAE socket to find the right size?

Maurice
the caprice uses 2 different lug nuts , the threaded ones are for the large plastic hub caps , and the chrome/stainless capped ones are for the small metal center cap

and YES the chrome/stainless capped ones suck , they have sucked since the 60's
Hurricane2

Post by Hurricane2 »

Yes it's the chrome stainless one that I have a problem with. So can they be replaced with any 14mm?
I'm going to stop buy oreillys and autozone these factories are terrible. I have no idea why they are varying between 22mm and 23mm.