Knowledge Base is now active!

This forum is for administrator/moderator updates on system status, updates, enhancements, etc.
elc32955
System Manager

Knowledge Base is now active!

Post by elc32955 »

Hi folks!

Today I've finally turned on a feature of the system I've had in reserve for sometime - the Knowledge Base portion of New Caprice. You'll notice that on the top menu bar that there's a small menu entry that now reads "Knowledge Base". If you click on it, it will take you into this section. There is one test entry so far, you can review it by just clicking on it to read.

After conversation with the admin staff, we are going to rely on interested users to submit articles to us. Basically the Knowledge Base is intended to be a "how-to" compendium of maintenance procedures, mods, a step-by-step guide on how to for things related to the Caprice PPV.

Now the topic sections we have so far are starters to get us going, as we accumulate articles we may find it necessary to create more subsections. We are divided up by model year ranges, 11-13 cars have their own sections as do 14-17 cars.

The Knowledge Base can accommodate text information, pictures, and videos (from YouTube for instance) - or any other URL's that are pointable to the system. This gives you the capability of making a how-to video on something Caprice specific, host it on a site forward facing to the 'net, and entering a URL in the Knowledge Base article so that we may all watch the video in conjunction with one of the listed topic areas. Example could be - a 101 primer on how to hook HP Tuners to the Caprice to program for instance. There are members that have done videos already on different aspects of Caprice mods and systems, those can all be pointed into the knowledge base if you create a topic germane to the video. Unfortunately we cannot add a picture directly into the Knowledge Base as you can by displaying an image in-line as you do a regular board message. Pictures must be hosted off-site and called into the article by URL.

It looks like through the module admins do have the responsibility to review topics before they are made live. As soon as an article is submitted, one of the admins will review it, if the article is technically correct we'll approve it. Or, we may kick it back to the submitter with suggestions on modifying the submission (for whatever reason whether inaccuracies, better wording to make it easier to follow, etc etc....). This is a new module for all of us, so people doing submissions please be patient with us while we all get the hang of working with this system. This is a major upgrade to the benefit of the membership, we appreciate the time & trouble of members that are submitting topics. Every little bit we do helps the members with these cars, as the years roll on we continue to grow & add more information to the system every day.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM or email me.

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Re: Knowledge Base is now active!

Post by Mooseman »

I must need more coffee. I can't find it anywhere.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Look up at the top just below the NewCaprice logo. The menu bar on the very top has the Knowledge Base menu just to the right of the mChat entry.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

I must agree with Mooseman. I cannot find it either. There is nothing to the right of the mChat entry on my screen?
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Ok, looks like there's a permissions issue afoot, I'll get it fixed later today. I have a testing account with standard user permissions that I can use to make sure everything is accessable, I thought that I had checked that step but I must have skipped it. My bad....

Thanks
Eric
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

i have nothing either , do we need to log out and back in ?
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

It's fixed, it indeed was a permissions error. Also I did modify the access settings to where guests can browse the Knowledge Base as well - was thinking that issue was just the way the program was coded.

Thanks
Eric
JRWolff

Post by JRWolff »

Thanks Eric,

Confirming that i can now see the knowledge Base selection just to the right of mChat. As always, THANKS for all of your efforts with this site. It is very much appreciated!

John
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

it works , i can click on it

thank you !
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Yep. Man, I'd better get on my Turbo Encabulator!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419