2014 Caprice in Montana

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
rustingsoftly

2014 Caprice in Montana

Post by rustingsoftly »

Howdy. I’m from South Eastern Montana. I purchased a 2014 Caprice PPV from Western Washington. After I purchased the car I then found out where it came from. I called the city fleet maintenance shop and asked about the cars history.
The car has a good police backstory. It tried to pit maneuver a lifted pickup and crunched up the front end. (No pictures). Well the City of Centralia, WA decided it would be a good idea to fix the car and turn it into training/practice car. The city went out of their way and purchased a parts car to replace the front clip. (This literally blows my mind). Well their “training car” plan did not come to fruition. Another Caprice in their fleet needed a camshaft replacement so they took the lower mileage engine from my car and swapped it with their bad cam engine. What I find surprising is that this car sat in their shop for 3 years. My guess is that after the one car got its lower mile donor engine they got sick of looking at this car taking up space.

Well the car is now in its new home in Montana and is getting fixed to the best of my abilities.

Already have the heads off. Found cam lobe/lifters on cylinder 3 are chewed up. Inside of engine is spotless. I’m going to put an ls3 cam in and get it to be a reliable cross-country car.
Attachments
IMG_9007.jpeg
IMG_9007.jpeg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 808 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: 2014 Caprice in Montana

Post by elc32955 »

Glad that you looked into the past history and maintenance records on your car, wish more people did that. You have a snapshot from people that are paid (rather well a lot of times) to keep comprehensive, detailed records on what happened when to the car from mile zero to the release date from service. That is a bit unique that an agency purchased a whole car for parts, but it does make fiscal sense when you look at new prices on a lot of the still-available components.

Enjoy & welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome. Looks like it's well underway to get the rehab it deserves.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
rustingsoftly

Post by rustingsoftly »

Thanks. Yes sir!
Attachments
IMG_9132.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 701 times
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

The DOD likely destroyed the camshaft and lifters. You are going to delete the DOD right? Also consider switching to LS3 valve springs if you're going to spin the RPMs up.
2016 Caprice
rustingsoftly

Post by rustingsoftly »

SSpeedracer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:53 pm The DOD likely destroyed the camshaft and lifters. You are going to delete the DOD right? Also consider switching to LS3 valve springs if you're going to spin the RPMs up.
Yes dod is getting deleted. I bought an LS3 cam and set of PAC 1218 valve springs. I have a spun my turbo 6.0 2500HD to 7,100 with these springs so they are plenty overkill. Not sure where the power falls off on a ls3 cam but we can send it to 7,000 if we want to wind it out.