Corsa Exhaust and Kooks Headers install

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
grayforge

Corsa Exhaust and Kooks Headers install

Post by grayforge »

I initially installed the Solo Performance exhaust on the Caprice, but even after adjusting the J Tubes, there was more drone than I liked.

I've always liked Corsa exhausts and install them on any vehicle I own that they make them for. As folks know, they don't make an application for the Caprice, but do for the G8. So I figured I'd just need to extend the Corsa Exhaust a bit.

The header install went pretty smoothly. The toughest part was getting the damned dipstick tube back in.

The Corsa Exhaust went up pretty easily, but the extension didn't just need to happen in the middle, it needed to be done in 3 places:
Connection Pipes
Center/X-Pipe Section
Muffler Tips

A buddy, who's a better welder than I, did the connection pipes with a TIG welder. I used a slip/band clamp for the center/x-pipe section and I welded the tailpipe extensions with a MIG welder and stainless wire. My welds don't look great, but as long as they seal...

Results: The car barks like crazy on start and downshifting at WOT. But settles down to a nice purr when cruising at highway speeds.

Extension with slip/band clamps. I cut a section of 2.5" tubing the length needed, slipped it into the expanded section and wrapped the band clamps around the butt joint.
IMG_5952.JPG
IMG_5952.JPG (683.59 KiB) Viewed 374 times

Connection Pipes
IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5954.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 374 times

The completed exhaust
IMG_5950.JPG
IMG_5950.JPG (1.22 MiB) Viewed 374 times

Headers with their cool Stage 8 bolts. Won't come loose.
IMG_5897.JPG
IMG_5897.JPG (871.37 KiB) Viewed 374 times
JoeR

Re: Corsa Exhaust and Kooks Headers install

Post by JoeR »

Looks great!
Joe