New User Rear Door unlock

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Chris F

New User Rear Door unlock

Post by Chris F »

Hey there, I'm the second owner of a 2012 9c1 Caprice with the 6.0. The car has 88k on it. Originally from a police department near Bowling Green Kentucky. My brother had a 1996 Caprice 9c1 in high school and I've wanted one ever since.

I need some help getting the back doors to act like normal car doors. Not prisoner transport doors. Do I need to have the body control module flashed to have these doors work normally? My local Chevrolet dealer said to simply turn the child safety tabs... which was the first thing I tried when I bought the car, no fix. One thing that I noticed was when changing the battery, with the battery disconnected, the rear doors cannot be opened from the inside or outside. I made sure it wasn't locked. So I'm leaning towards there being some kind of actuator in the door handle. I cant seem to find much info about this topic in the forums.

There was one post about taking the inner door panels off and reconnecting the linkage rods.
viewtopic.php?p=37429&hilit=prisoner+doors#p37429
But again, why wont the outside door handles work when the battery is disconnected? Im not opposed to taking the inner panels off but if its simply a programing thing that makes things more easy.
JRWolff

Re: New User Rear Door unlock

Post by JRWolff »

You need to remove the door panels. The cables for the handles and the locks are there but not connected. All you need to do is connect them. Also, the rear windows can be made operable from the door switches by connecting the wiring on the floor under the mat near the rear of the passenger seat. There is a little flap in the mat that can be lifted up to access the wiring. I believe there is a good write up on it somewhere on this site.
Twin 2012 9C1's
1991 R2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1990 V2500 Banks Turbo Diesel Suburban
1991 GMC Syclone
1986 Buick Grand National
Chris F

Post by Chris F »

Thanks, I'll pull the panels off this weekend.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

That is curios why they would not unlatch with the battery disconnected. Tell us what you find!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White